Magento: Change Default Sort Order to "Position" (1.3.x)

Magento Icon

Currently running for a client, I was needing to change the default sort order on the product list to “Position” instead of “Name”. Heading into the configuration on the backend, there were only three options, none of which were “Position”. There was “Name”, “Price”, and “Best Value”.

To hopefully save some headaches of a few of you out there, turns out that “Best Value” actually is the value for “Position”. Not sure why, as it doesn’t really seem to make sense, but that’s all you have to do!

And, if you don’t know, the “Position” is set by editing a category, going to the “Category Products” tab, and putting in numeric values in the “Position” column for each product. This allows you to order the products any way you want for any category.

7 Responses to Magento: Change Default Sort Order to "Position" (1.3.x)

1. Jo says:

Josh you are a complete star! Thank you. I knew there had to be a way but just couldn’t get those positions in the product category to work. Phew.

2. You just saved me a bunch of time… thank you so so so so much. I was baffled at why they even had the position box when it wasn’t an option to sort by it.

3. Harald says:

hi folks, thanks, this is very very gooooooood info to set the sortorder – I use it for the sortorder in the cart too.

• Bilal says:

Hi, How do you use this value to sort items in the cart. I’ve been trying to sort items in the cart and order email on SKU but had no luck yet.

4. Mike says:

Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU! This is another example of the wacky world of Magento. So powerful and so… maddeningly unfriendly.

5. Mrnl says:

Hi again,

I fixed it , this can be done in attributes.

6. Mrnl says:

Hi again,

I did not see the correct article to post this so thats why i post it here.

Do you know how i can add categories to the shop by part (shopping options) i like to also put besides price the manufacturer/brand and maybe color or some othe parts.

Do you know a way of making it possible