Magento: Category Importer 1.0 (Beta) Launched

After finally figuring out the Magento API, I figured I’d start first with creating a simple category importer. So, if you have a Magento site out on the web and you want to try it out, please have at it! It requires that you create a web services user on your Magento installation, and you have to host your own CSV.

Just follow the CSV format that I laid out, and you’ll be ready to import. Remember though, this hasn’t been tested very much. I’ve done tests here and it seems to be working great. It does have it’s limitations. You have to provide the CSV with the name of the parent category that you want the imported category to fall under. If you have multiple categories with the same name, the importer will not work properly yet. It does, however, refresh the category tree ever time a category is imported, allowing you to give parent categories that you just imported in the CSV.

So, please try it out, let me know of any bugs you find, or any ideas for improvement. I put a Paypal donation link on the import page – if you wish to show your appreciation, or give towards helping me improve it.

Enough talk – Magento Category Importer.

12 Responses to Magento: Category Importer 1.0 (Beta) Launched

1. Fanou says:

The importer wasn’t work for me.
    Like people above me, my .csv as too big ? incompatible version ?

I’m sorry, but at this time, I’m not really supporting it – it’s been a long time since I released that, and I’m sure things have changed since.

2. Vipul says:

I’ve to import cateogories in Magento.

I’ve around 100 categories. Can you please tell me if the importer works for such large files or not ?

Really appreciate your help.

It’s been so long since I created the category importer. I’m not even sure if it will work with the current version. You’ll just have to try it out I guess.

3. John says:

Josh – I got the importer working ok with a small csv file – but it seems to fall over with larger csv files that contain over 10 categories.

Or the problem could be the format of my file – I would be willing to donate for it to be improved, or if you could write me a dataflow profile that imported just categories.

btw: Hope you’re starting to feel better now.

4. Daniël says:

Here also nothing happens when i submit the form.
    it reloads the page but results stay emty and no new categories are in the admin.

5. Matt says:

Looks like the category names aren’t being posted.

6. Nagbhushan says:

I have a csv file containing 231 records of categories. there are 2 columns “Category Name” and “Category Image”. How do I import these categories ?

The site is not live yet and I have installed magento on the local PC here.

7. enki says:

same problem here..
    api should be http://mydomain/index.php/api ??
    is the API user the same as the backend user?

8. Sven says:

I appreciate your work,
    however it didn’t work for me.

Nothing seems to happen when I submit the form

9. Bert says:

Created a webservice user and role (assigned the category resource)
    Added my magento url (is that with or without the /api path ??)
    Added my URL for csv location

… but nothing happens.
    Can you output some logging in the results field, so I can see where it possibly goes wrong?

10. Jools says:

just what i needed. thanks a lot!